Men’s Basketball | 1/2/2021 12:50:00 PM
TV: BTN –Lisa Byington (Play-by-Play); Andy Katz (Analyst)
Tip Time: 4:31 p.m. CT
Radio: Learfield IMG College/KFAN 100.3 FM (joined in progress)
Mike Grimm (Play-by-Play); Spencer Tollackson (Analyst)
Sirius XM: 372
143rd Meeting (MN leads 53-89)*
69th Meeting at Home: (MN leads 36-32)*
Current Streak: W-2
Richard Pitino vs. Ohio State: 4-7
Minnesota vs. Big Ten: 776-855*
Richard Pitino vs. Big Ten: 55-87
* – excludes vacated games
• Minnesota returns to Williams Arena confines Sunday when it hosts the No. 25 Ohio State Buckeyes at 4:30 p.m. Sunday’s contest marks the lone meeting between the two schools during the 2020-21 season.
• The Golden Gophers earned a pair of wins over Ohio State last year in an 84-71 win at home Dec. 15, 2019, and a 62-59 win in Columbus, Ohio, Jan. 23, 2020. In the Dec. 15 game, Marcus Carr scored a career-high 35 points and Daniel Oturu had 14 points and 13 rebounds. OSU was ranked third at the time, and marked coach Richard Pitino‘s first win against a top-five team. On Jan. 23, Marcus Carr scored a 3-pointer with three seconds left in the game to secure the road win.
• Minnesota is coming off a 71-59 loss to No. 6 Wisconsin Thursday. The loss snapped a three-game win streak for the Gophers, including two wins over ranked Iowa and Michigan State, the first time the Gophers defeated back-to-back ranked opponents since 2010. Gabe Kalscheur led Minnesota with 15 points. Brandon Johnson and Liam Robbins each had 12 points and nine rebounds.
• Marcus Carr continues to rank high nationally and within the Big Ten. Carr averages 22.7 ppg, which ranks ninth nationally and fourth in the Big Ten. His 6.2 assists per game ranks first in the league and 23rd nationally. He also averages 35.8 minutes played, which also tops the Big Ten and 43rd nationally, while his 393 total minutes ranks second in Division I. Carr also averages 2.5 three-pointers per game, good for fourth in the league.
• Liam Robbins is averaging 2.6 blocked shots per game. That average tops the Big Ten and ranks 20th nationally. Against Wisconsin and Michigan State, Robbins had three each game. Overall, he averages 2.8 against league opponents. His season bests came against North Dakota and Kansas City when he had five, while his career-best came when he was at Drake with seven against Loyola Chicago.
• Minnesota is back in action on Jan. 6 when the Gophers travel to No. 16 Michigan.
• Tip off is set for 7:30 p.m., on BTN while KFAN 100.3 FM will carry the Gopher Radio Network broadcast in the Twin Cities.