Panthers Travel to Georgia Tech For Sunday Tilt
2/13/2021 10:24:00 AM
Pitt (9-6, 5-5 ACC) at Georgia Tech (9-8, 5-6 ACC)
Sunday, Feb. 14, 2021 • 4:00 PM
ACC Network • 93.7 The Fan
Atlanta, Ga. • McCamish Pavilion
The Opening Tip
• Pitt travels to Atlanta to face Georgia Tech at McCamish Pavilion Sunday, Feb. 14 at 4 p.m. on the ACC Network. The Panthers’ midweek game at Louisville (Feb. 10) was postponed due to COVID-19 issues within the Cardinal program.
• Eight of the 10 meetings between the two schools since the 2013-14 season have been decided by fewer than 10 points.
• Pitt is 3-2 on the road with wins over Northwestern, Miami and Syracuse. The Panthers have had four other road contests postponed due to COVID-19 issues.
• The Panthers are one win shy of matching their ACC win total from last season. Pitt has not won more than six ACC games since the 2015-16 season.
• Justin Champagnie, Xavier Johnson and Au’Diese Toney combine to average 47.5 points, 21.6 rebounds and 10.2 assists per game. The trio has registered 33 double-figure scoring games, including 13 games with 20 or more points scored, and 11 double-doubles.
• Justin Champagnie leads the ACC with nine double-doubles, including six games with 20+ points and 10+ rebounds. He ranks fourth in the NCAA in rebounds (12.0 rpg.) and ninth in double-doubles.
• Xavier Johnson has recorded seven or more assists in seven of the past eight games and 10 times overall. He leads the ACC and ranks 12th nationally in assists (6.2 apg.).
By The Numbers
• Sunday’s contest ends a six-day layoff between games for the Panthers after a midweek matchup with Louisville was postponed due to COVID-19 issues in the Cardinal program. Georgia Tech will be playing its third game in a five-day span after rescheduling a previously postponed matchup against Clemson for Friday, Feb. 12.
• Pitt is tied for 22nd in the NCAA rebounds per game (40.0 rpg.) and has outrebounded 11 of its 15 opponents. The Panthers are 7-4 on the season and 21-11 under Jeff Capel when outrebounding the opposition.
• The Panthers scored a season-best 42 points in the paint against No. 14 Virginia in their last outing. Pitt is averaging 31.6 points in the paint per game and is 6-3 on the season when winning the inside scoring battle.
• Pitt ranks second in the ACC (20th nationally) in offensive rebounds (13.1 orpg.) and third in offensive rebound percentage (.344). The Panthers have a +78 scoring margin in second chance points for the season.
• The Panthers are 8-2 on the season when Justin Champagnie, Xavier Johnson and Au’Diese Toney combine for 40 or more points in a game. The trio combines to average 47.5 points per game.
• Justin Champagnie is one of three players (along with Derek Culver, West Virginia and Kofi Cockburn, Illinois) from a major conference school averaging a double-double for the season. He is one of five players in the NCAA averaging better than 18 points and 10 rebounds per game.
• Xavier Johnson is one of six players in the country averaging better than 14.0 points, 3.5 rebounds and 6.0 assists per game. He is attempting to become the first Panther to average more than 14.0 points and 6.0 assists per game since Brandin Knight (2001-02).
• Au’Diese Toney has scored in double figures 10 times with seven games with 15 or more points scored. Pitt has won the past six games when Toney tops the 15-point mark. The Panthers are 22-11 over the past three seasons, including an 8-2 mark in 2020-21, when Toney scores 10 or more points in a game.
• Abdoul Karim Coulibaly is averaging 8.0 points and 4.7 rebounds per game, while going 17-of-33 (.515) from the field and 13-of-18 (.722) from the foul line over the past six games.
• Justin Champagnie is attempting to become the first Panther to average a double-double for the season since DeJuan Blair (2008-09). Pitt has not had a player average better than 18 points and 10 rebounds per game since Billy Knight (1973-74).
• Au’Diese Toney is averaging a career-best 14.1 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. He ranks 16th in the ACC in scoring, 10th in offensive rebounds (2.36 orpg.) and fifth in free throw attempts (78). Toney shot a career-high 17 free throws in a Jan. 19 win over Duke, but has only gotten to the line 10 times in the past five games.
• Justin Champagnie has recorded a double-double in six of the past seven games. He is averaging 20.3 points, 11.7 rebounds, 1.6 blocks and 1.6 steals per game, while shooting 54.0 percent (54-of-100) from the field and 48.0 percent (12-of-25) from three-point range in that span.
• Ithiel Horton is averaging 11.5 points per game, while shooting 39.7 percent (25-of-63) from three-point range in conference play. He has made three or more three-point field goals in six ACC contests.
• Femi Odukale is averaging 6.6 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 18.6 minutes per game over the past nine contests. He is 22-of-47 (.468) from the field in that stretch.
ACC Schedule Flux
• Pitt has had seven games postponed due to COVID-19 protocols, including four ACC road contests. With only one remaining open date (Feb. 24), it is uncertain how many of the remaining postponed games will be played.
• The Panthers have had their home game against Florida State postponed twice.
• Sunday’s matchup at Georgia Tech was orginally scheduled for Jan. 13.