PORTLAND, Ore.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–May 19, 2021–
The sun’s out and suitcases are ready to pack. That’s right, it’s (finally!) time for summer vacations. With travel seeing steady gains alongside vaccine distribution, Vacasa, North America’s leading vacation rental management platform, teamed up with Allison + Partners to get a temperature check on what travel trends to expect in the sunny months ahead.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210519005298/en/
A Vacasa family vacation in Colorado. Photo credit: Fatima Dedrickson (@stylefitfatty).
The forecast? It’s bright, with 59% of Americans planning a summer getaway in 2021. Though many pandemic trends will stick around this season, like the preference for beach-bound road trips, there are a few things (remember family reunions and weddings?) that people are putting back on the calendar.
“Summer vacations are an age-old tradition and one that people are understandably eager to get back to. Our survey revealed that of those planning a summer vacation, 61% are traveling for the first time since the onset of the pandemic,” said Natalia Sutin, VP of Revenue Management at Vacasa. “We’re seeing that pent up demand translate to summer bookings, but it isn’t just an increase over last year due to vaccine availability in the U.S.: many of Vacasa’s top vacation destinations already have double the reservations for June, July, and August compared to what was booked at this time in 2019.”
Here’s a snapshot of how, where and why people are planning to enjoy some fun in the sun, according to Vacasa’s summer survey *:
- Of those traveling, most (34%) will be spending a long weekend, or three to four days, away from home, followed closely by 32% planning a five- to seven-day getaway.
- Though nearly a quarter (22%) of people who traveled during the pandemic will be boarding a plane for the first time in the months ahead, 41% are opting to skip the skies altogether.
- When asked to select their top two priorities, travelers most often said that the people they’re traveling with (39%) and going to a destination they’re already familiar with (36%) were most important when planning their summer vacation.
- Family reunions are the most likely group event that will get Americans traveling this summer (32%), followed closely by entertainment-related events (concert, sporting event, etc.) at 30% and weddings at 15%.
- 37% of travelers are making up for plans that were cancelled last summer by visiting the same destination that they originally intended to visit, or one nearby.
- Regardless of summer travel plans, 64% of Americans have already gotten, or plan to get, the COVID-19 vaccine before they travel—up from 59% who said the same in Vacasa’s spring survey.
For the full summer survey findings, along with other seasonal reports and home and destination roundups, visit www.vacasa.com/press.
*Methodology note: Allison+Partners surveyed 1,001 US consumers over the age of 18. Panel was sourced from Lucid and the survey was hosted in Qualtrics. Fielding took place in April 2021.
Whether travelers are looking to book a weekend getaway or the trip of a lifetime, Vacasa is the trusted partner for all things vacation rental. Vacasa homeowners enjoy industry-leading financial returns on their vacation homes, delivered by the company’s unmatched technology platform that adjusts rates in real time and ensures revenue is always maximized. Guests can relax comfortably in one of Vacasa’s professionally managed homes across North America, knowing that 24/7 customer care is just a phone call away. In the past 11 years, Vacasa and its licensed subsidiaries have grown to become North America’s leading vacation rental management platform and employs approximately 6,500 people who are passionate about providing best-in-class service to homeowners, guests, real estate investors and partners. For more information, visit https://www.vacasa.com/press.
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210519005298/en/
CONTACT: Allison Ferre
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA OREGON
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: FAMILY CONSUMER VACATION LODGING DESTINATIONS TRAVEL
Copyright Business Wire 2021.
PUB: 05/19/2021 09:00 AM/DISC: 05/19/2021 09:02 AM
Copyright Business Wire 2021.